Doesn’t it happen to all of us at some point, we hit the sack only to have our minds and hearts racing, thinking of the day gone past or anticipating future obligations. Biggest casualty being the difficulty in falling asleep or risking a disturbed night’s sleep that leaves us feeling worse about life.
Here is how to beat any anxiety at bedtime and ensure good sleep-
- Meditate Learn any form of meditation that helps calm your mind. Must dedicate some time just before sleeping to meditation. Light a candle if you wish and go deep into any practice that helps blank your thoughts and makes you feel centered. Meditation is very important to forget the day’s challenges and prepare you for the next day. You could start by just doing deep breathing for a while. Make a meditation regimen and stick to it.
- Have a routine Try and sleep at the same time every night. While we anyway have a fixed wake up call, we usually don’t adhere to a sleeping time. Get your body used to sleeping at the same time, so after a while despite how you feel it gets auto tuned and begins to crave sleep as the clock ticks close to that hour.
- Exercise Try and include exercise in your routine even if you have a busy work schedule. Squeeze it in if you must but don’t underestimate its value. Even half an hour of exercise can help you relax and ensure a good night’s sleep. Don’t forget to do stretching exercises after some cardio.
- Learn to wind down Don’t do any important work just before sleeping, leave it for early morning if you must. Disconnect from exchanging messages related to work and don’t watch anything too gripping right before sleeping. You may do whatever makes you relax, be it soaking your feet in warm water, listening to soft music or reading something light. Basically you need to take your mind off things.
- Keep a Diary This can be a good release as you can pour out your thoughts, concerns and feelings. It can be quite therapeutic. If any worries or problems, be sure to write down possible solutions. Once you do this, shut the book and imagine you are symbolically shutting away all the cares and thoughts that were plaguing your mind.
Here’s to a care-free, blissful Night!