How to choose a mattress that is perfect for you
- 03 December 2019
- By Bharath Adarsh
- 0 Comments
Okay, so you’ve decided to buy a mattress and are familiar with all the big brands calling out to you from hoardings and TVCs. But do you know which one to pick and what criteria to follow? Here are some helpful guidelines:
1. A bed ideally has to be just right, not too soft or hard. Look into brand names, but don't be too biased. Sometimes brand names are better, but that doesn't mean you should go in for one blindly. A well-known name does not imply quality, though often times there is good reason for such a reputation. The important thing is to test one and figure out what feels best for your own body.
2. A high coil count doesn't necessarily translate into a higher-quality mattress. Beds with independent coils have a larger number of coils and are better for light sleepers, because they won't fluctuate as much with movement (especially when your partner shifts or gets out of bed). A mattress should support you in a way that keeps your head, shoulder, buttocks and heels in alignment and allows your spine to curve naturally.
3. Firmness is an important consideration for your sleeping posture, especially while selecting the best mattress for back pain. Researchers in Spain found that on a 10-point hard-to-soft scale, a medium-to-firm mattress (5.6 on the scale) was the best mattress for back pain compared to a softer mattress. Memory foam and Latex mattresses work best in this regard.
4. Finally, it’s time to decide on the size of your mattress. If there are two of you in a double bed, a king size model gives you more options for cuddling up or giving each person their own space. A healthy sleeper moves around 15 to 30 times during the night. Having that extra width can help you both enjoy a great night’s sleep. A twin-sized bed is the smallest mattress available and is best suited for a child or an adult. The dimensions of a twin size mattress are approximately 39 inches wide by 74 inches long. Taller adults may be more comfortably sleeping on a twin XL bed size which is approximately 6 inches longer than a twin mattress and approximately 39 inches wide by 80 inches long.
5. Mattresses with health and safety certifications are most reliable. While they are established norms globally, these certifications are still catching up in India. Make sure your mattress comes with a warranty, and preferably a trial period, so you can test it at your convenience.
So what are you waiting for? It's time to find your best match and sleep happy!