With summers almost here, we see ourselves getting restless and not sleeping the same way as we did when the weather was cooler. With fluctuating temperature or not the ideal steady temperature, we end up going into the “rapid eye movement” stage, ever so frequently, not achieving out best sleep.
Even air conditioning it is said is a mixed blessing as you wake up feeling too cold or suddenly warm.
Here are some basic tips to keep your bedroom cool and have a good sleep-
- Take a tepid shower or bath before sleeping. Taking a truly cold shower can have a rebound effect as your body temperature revs up to counteract the cold.
- If you get hot but your sleep partner doesn’t, get a small portable fan to put on your bedstand. If not using AC, you could put an ice pack or just a bowl of cold water in front of the fan for cool air.
- If your lifestyle allows it, supplement your night’s sleep with an afternoon nap. The siesta was born in hot climates and is one of the best inventions ever.
- Keep a glass of ice cold water by your bed. A cold sip can work wonders and you can also press to your forehead with a ready hand towel if need be.
- Skip the satin and polyester sheets meant for cooler nights. Choose light coloured bed linen made of lightweight cotton, that is more breathable and allows air flow.
- Try pressing your pulse points with ice before sleeping. Apply cold compresses to pulse points at the wrists, neck, elbows, groin, ankles, and behind the knees.
- Cool the whole room by hanging a wet sheet in front of an open window. The breeze blowing in will quickly bring down the room’s temperature.
Still not convinced with the techniques outlined in this article, then all you must be look for is a quality mattresses with the most comfortable pillow sets and mattress protector.